Saturday, June 18, 2011

Outwitted By An Eight Year Old

The other day I'm driving in the car with my eight year old son Ethan. The car is filled with the usual sounds, the radio humming in the background and Ethan filling my ear full of conversation about video games, sleep overs and skateboards when all of the sudden he screams, "Mom, you forgot to use your blinker!" in a way as if I had just run someone over. With my heart now pumping I simply say, "Oh, looks like I did thanks for noticing that!" Afterward Ethan would like an explanation as to how I missed that and I hear things like "don't you know its illegal? and' "Your going to go to jail!"
At this point I am silently thanking myself for offering up that lesson on driving a few months back. Ethan continues, "I was with dad the other day and he did the same thing. I told him that he forgot to use his blinker and he said don't tell him how to drive." He uses his grouchy face as he bobs his head back and forth as if he is imitating my husband. Clever as I am I used this to my advantage and told Ethan his dad is just getting old and cranky. Ha. I went on to explain to him that if that ever happens again he should look directly at his dad like a sad homeless puppy and quietly say, "But Dad, don't you love me?" I then told him this could work in a variety of situations. I said, "Trust me it will melt your father, he would probably do just about anything for you!" I could then see the little squirrels churning in his head. So we practiced for a bit until he had this down like he'd been pulling this stop for years. It was brilliant. And payback of course for the many times my husband taught him little things just to get on my nerves like the question why. Why mom? Why? Why mom? Why? I have to admit when he does this now laughter is usually the end result but it didn't used to be that way.
As we were perfecting our newest plan of attack, we arrived at the store to shop for some dinner items. Our conversation turns back to the normal sleep overs, skateboards and video games when all of the sudden Ethan turns to me and says, "Mom, can I get some of the Chinese food they have?" Ha, at 8.99/lb, not happening! I quickly say, "No." and continue with my shopping when the little guy looks right at me with the most pathetic look on his face, "Mommy, don't you love me?" There I was outwitted by an eight year old. Needless to say, guess who got Chinese food?

3 comments:

  1. i cant get over how smart he is.. it blows my mind.... but he is just soo cute..

    ReplyDelete
  2. MAN!!!!!!!!!! ETHAN IS TO SMART FOR HIS OWN GOOD!!! Or should i say YOUR own good! haha

    ReplyDelete